The Rule is common to all members of the First Order and consists of:
- The Principles of the First Order.
- The Constitution of the Society of St Francis [ie - the "umbrella" constitution of the the three orders together].
- The Constitution of the First Order.
- The Rule of Life of the First Order.
- The Formulae of Profession of the First Order.
There are two formats available here.
A5 page format - suitable for direct viewing on screen or printing as separate A5 sheets
A4 sheet booklet format - Arranged for printing for Manual. Print double sided, then cut pages in half to give collated pages ready to be inserted in Manual.
The following documents are not part of the Rule but assist with its administration and interpretation.
Other Versions of the Principles
The official version (see above) forms part of The Rule of the First Order. This was the definitive version authorised by the Joint Meeting of the Chapters of the First Order in 1996. This uses NRSV biblical texts and the third person plural ("brothers and sisters"). This version should be the one in the Manual used by each brother and sister. It is also the version in the 2010 Daily Office - SSF.
Alternative authorised versions of the Principles are below: